This recipe has risen in popularity around the world. Originally from North Africa and the Middle East, this flavorful dish of eggs cooked in a spicy tomato sauce is tasty, and healthy. Try this for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
1. Take one frying pan, put some olive oil on medium, add chopped onion, saute them for a few minutes until the onions become translucent. Add garlic and mix them all together until the mixture is fragrant.
2. Now, add some diced bell pepper and saute them for a few minutes until it softens. Add tomato paste and tomatoes to the pan, stir them until it’s blended. On medium heat, add spices and sugar, stir them as well, allow the mixture to simmer for 5-7 minutes until it starts to reduce.
3. Add spice (you can put as much spice as you want according to your preference). Add salt and pepper to taste, add more sugar for a sweeter sauce or more cayenne pepper (optional) for a spicier shakshuka. You can use any other spice as per your preference.
4. Crack the eggs directly over the tomato mixture, making sure to space them evenly over the sauce. Place 5 eggs around the outer edge and in the center. Now, let the eggs cook over easy style on top of the tomato sauce by covering the pan with a lid.
5. Now, let the mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked or the sauce has slightly reduced. Don’t let the sauce reduce too much, that will lead to burning.
6. Let the sauce reduce for a few more minutes before cracking the eggs on top (If your preference is shakshuka with more runny yolks), cover the pan, cook the eggs to taste, just be sure that the egg whites are set before serving.
7.Your Shakshuka is ready to eat. Garnish it with chopped parsley or cilantro, sprinkle some feta cheese on top that goes well with Shakshuka!
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *